September 18, 2008

Frida Kahlo

Last Sunday I was able to see the spectacular Frida Kahlo exhibit at the SF MOMA. If you don't already know, I LOVE Frida. It was a pretty intense exhibit, but I loved it nonetheless. Here's what I wrote in my journal while perusing the exhibit:

I am inspired, impressed, a little sad, (a little annoyed at all of the crowds), but ultimately inspired by her amazing portraits and also the photos of her. After reading much about her and loving her work, it is a bit surreal to be here. I wish that there weren't so many crowds, so I could stay for hours and stare at her portraits, the brush strokes, the color. Almost as if I were in my own home. In some weird way I feel connected to Frida - it must have been her spirit, enthusiasm, love for social justice, her personal tragedy. To be a person that is able to convey their feelings with any type of art is remarkable - for it to be so real - so purely real is the only way I can describe it. I think seeing the actual photos of her was almost more striking than seeing the portraits themselves. It's like the portraits say something about how she was feeling, but the photos show her - her face, her expressions, her dress. The way she looks at Diego is interesting - with their tangled history, I wonder what she's thinking in those pictures. And the ones of her suffering with the bandages on her head after multiple surgeries...they are equally as intense as they are disturbing....

1 comment:

malcomama said...

Thanks for sharing some of your journal entry, S. You have a very confident, but quiet, introspective way about you that I appreciate just as much as your outward gregariousness. Great thoughts on, I'm sure, great art!