March 1, 2010

Good Soup. Bad photo.


I've gotten a bit of a stomach bug. Yesterday, we spent the day at the Napa River in American Canyon with my brother and Dana, his friends, and the Hughes family. Aaron and his friends fished while the rest of us watched. We all drank beer and basked in the sun. We barbequed and ate lots. And, I think we ate something bad. Paul and I both were sick last night, had the spins, and hot flashes. Gross. I couldn't hang at work all day today, so I came home to sleep it off and be closer to the bathroom.

Anyway, even though my tummy is hurting, I'm kinda hungry. I couldn't even get out to get groceries, so I made a soup with what I had in the cupboard. It came out pretty well, if I say so myself. Perfect for a gloomy day and a sick tummy.

Potato Soup
1 sliced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
2 skinned potatoes, cubed
1 tbl fresh chopped rosemary
2 can of chicken broth (or the equivalent of. I used a combo of homemade/canned)
1 tbl olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
optional: dollop of sour cream

Saute the onions, garlic, & rosemary in the olive oil. Once the onions get carmelly and soft, add the chicken stock and potatoes. Cook on high until the potatoes start to come apart. At this point, you can leave the soup as is, or use an immersion blender to make smooth (that's what I did). Then, I added a dollop of sour cream and mixed it in to make the soup creamy. This part is optional - it just makes the soup a little more creamy without all of the dairy.

No comments: