October 25, 2007

Sweet Caroline....


It's just not the same watching the Red Sox in the world series if you're not in Boston. People just aren't that into it around these parts...

If I were in Boston...my world series schedule would look something like this: Leave work early to pre-party, get my finest jersey on (and the hat, of course the hat!). I'd take the T to Kenmore square and be instantly swimming in a sea of people, all chanting "Yankees suck". There'd be vendors lining the streets with Red Sox apparel (most of which is anti-Yankees). I'd push my way through the crowds to whatever bar had room - the Cask and Flagon, the brewery or that other sports bar on the corner that I don't remember the name. I'd be drinking many beers with fellow-minded friends...cheering and yelling and jumping at (almost) every play. We'd sing "Sweet Caroline" when the game was over, and "Love that dirty water" in between....
After that, I'd party into the night and cab it home 'round 3am. (and really, this WAS my schedule when they won in 2004).

...but I'm not in Boston. I'm in the East Bay Area, CA - where talk is of the Oakland A's relocating, and the recent shootings at a Raiders game. I went over to my friend Martin and Emily's house. There we ate pizza, drank beers, and watched the game. It was fun, no doubt, but not the same.

By the way...I couldn't resist...

No comments: