February 19, 2008

Santa Cruz history

I just found the coolest book at the library today - it's called "Local Girl Makes History - Exploring Northern California's Kitsch Monuments"....(I'm still trying to figure out what 'kitsch' means...is that the same as 'chotshski' that my mom uses?) It's written by a UCSC historian that grew up in the Santa Cruz Mountains and the history behind some of the landmarks in the area (like the cave man ride at the beach boardwalk and the infamous cat statues in Los Gatos). I just started reading it, but I've already been transported to my childhood, where I also experienced those same landmarks (and have similar fond memories like the author!) I'll let you know how it goes...and I'm sure I'll share the random information I learn with you all :)

1 comment:

malcomama said...

Kitsch, as in, "cutsie" and "collectible" and somewhat "tacky." Ha! I love it...I don't remember what it's called, but I seem to know that little rotunda think near the water on the front cover...?