September 8, 2010

Summer Recap Volume 1


One of my favorite trips this summer was to Desolation Canyon on the Green River in Utah. I taught a junior whitewater school with an old friend, and saw the new generation of guides working their butts off to run great trips. Many of you may know that I have been guiding for ARTA River Trips since I was 18 (boating since I was 16), so it's been a huge part of my life. I spent 4 amazing summers in Utah after college/during graduate school, so the desert has a very special place in my heart. Driving down the washboard road to put-in, the smell of sweet sage in my lungs and dirt on my face, I was taken back to my 22 year old self (that crazy girl!) 7 days was not nearly enough for me, but alas, the "real world" was calling me back. This trip made me realize that it's essential that I visit the desert every year or two. I came back so completely refreshed and revitalized. It's strange to think that a desolate, dry place can do that to you....

No comments: