November 18, 2011

Brining Olives


Have you ever seen or tasted raw olives? I have. They are very pretty, but don't taste very good. I'm assuming that's why they are brined or pressed into oil. I was lucky enough to spot some raw olives at Larry's Produce last week, and picked up a few pounds to brine on my own. I never would have thought of this myself, and would probably have lived with getting my olives at the olive bar at Whole Foods or Berkeley Bowl. However, after seeing a bring recipe in Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects, I decided to give it a try. It's really simple - just make a salt/water bath for the olives, and let them sit in it for at least 6 weeks. Six weeks! The result, I've heard is amazing...I'll let you know around Christmas when they should be done :)

cleaned and cut
In their bath

No comments: