September 18, 2005

this song has no title...just words and a tune

i don't really know how to feel about today....

i was talking with my mom on my way to target. she shocked me with the news that a student from my old high school (a 16 yr old guy who was there when i was doing my americorps service) had committed suicide. obviously, the news took me by surprise. but not until after talking with my good friend (the principal at the high school) did i realize just how hard it would hit me. i mean, 16 years old and feeling like that is the only way out? uhhhh, it just makes my heart hurt....for him, for his family....for the other students...for the small town to lose a youth....

i guess the "silver" lining in this story (which is played out among small communties across this nation) is the way tragedies bond people. boundaries and personal barriers that once stood on the way are broken down with support - whether it's a phone call, or a hot meal.....it made me think of the hurricane, and how we are bombarded with images from katrina...and how through the devastation there is also a silver lining (a national one, at that).

the social worker in me tells me to always look for the silver lining, no matter how small it may seem. i can only hope that the students, the family, the community, can look for the lining as well.....

1 comment:

Andy said...

I was a teacher for a few years back and one of my students committed suicide when he was on to high school. It really shocked and saddened me. Like you said, I couldn't imagine what would lead this kid that I knew, just 16, to end it... No great wisdom to share with you, but I share your pain, it's a terrible thing when our youth feel that they have no options...