November 8, 2010

Recap: Giants Mania 2010


It’s hard to believe that it’s been a week since the Giants won the World Series. Wait, let me say that again. The GIANTS WON THE WORLD SERIES!

As many of you may know, I’m a born and raised Giants fan. Sure, there have been times when my fan-dom has waned (like when I had Red Sox fever), but the Giants are forever my home team. The last few weeks have been brutal – scheduling myself around game times, drinking waaay too much beer, biting my fingernails, and generally ignoring my husband for anything Giants related. Last Monday, around 4pm, I decided to watch Game 5 in the city. I just had this feeling that they would win it. So, I put on my Tim Lincecum shirt and boarded the SF Bart train (along with many other fans). I squeezed into a bar in with my friends Paula and Quincy and a ba-jillion others. Thank goodness I took the 5pm train – by the time I made it to the city, it was already the 4th inning, and it wasn’t even 5:45pm!

A few beers, a few shots of whiskey, and a few innings later, Renteria hit the infamous 3 run homer that essentially clinched the game. The crowd went wild. It was so loud, I swore I was deaf for about 3 minutes. I was screaming and jumping up and down (much to the dismay of my recovering ankle). It was glorious, and hugs and high fives were presented all around. I won’t go into how great Timmy pitched, Buster’s homerun, B Weez’s last pitch, or Huff mentioning his thong. You all know how it ends. It was epic.

Moments after the game was over, the city’s bars and restaurants were overflowing with people cheering, high-fiving, beeping – you name it, they were using it to make noise. I’ve never heard a buzz in a city like this before – not even when the Red Sox won the World Series (and yes, I can say that, because I was there). Though people were jumping, screaming, and otherwise being rowdy, there was an eerie sense of calm – like a collective sigh had been relieved from the city, and there was nothing more to worry about. I never once was afraid of people going crazy violent like I’ve seen at other victories/rallies. These San Franciscans kept it classy.



Our crawl through the celebrating streets of SF kept us out until around 1am. We made it down to the ballpark, then up to the Civic Center. All along the way, people were cheering wildly, hugging perfect strangers, and sharing champagne with people on the streets. I’ve never experienced this camaraderie before in the Bay Area, and it was so amazing that it was indescribable. Top 10 events in my life, no doubt.

Next up: Rally Parade!

No comments: