October 18, 2010

Our (soon-to-be) newest additions!



I have mentioned a few times that I've wanted to build a chicken coop and have chickens in our backyard...and that dream is (almost) a reality! I've finally convinced Paul that NOW is the time to get them - originally, we were going to get them next spring. However, it takes them about 6 months to start laying, which would mean we wouldn't have eggs until next fall. If we get them now, they will be laying by spring. Yay! Fresh easter eggs! So, we went to Home Depot, got a plastic tub and heat lamp for the chicks new nest. After a month, they'll go into the coop in the garage for a few months until they've gotten all of their feathers...then they're out to the backyard! I've ordered 1 Buff Orpington and 2 Rhode Island Reds. I really can't wait. I've been doing so much research on Backyardchickens.com, which has been a great resource. I'll post pics as soon as they arrive!

No comments: