February 2, 2011

Quarter life crisis?

Have you ever heard the song “Why Georgia Why” by John Mayer*? It’s about being a twenty-somethingish person, figuring out if you’re on the “right” life path, why you’re doing what you’re doing, and where you’re “going” (somewhere, I assume, is the answer).

Some of the lyrics are really resonating with me right now. Namely:

Either way, I wonder sometimes
about the outcome
of a still verdictless life

Am I living it right?

-and-

It might be a quarter life crisis
or just the stirring in my soul

Maybe I’m doing some serious reflection because my 30th birthday is coming up in a few months. Not that I’m scared to be thirty, in fact, I can’t wait to be thirty! I feel like I’ve accomplished so much at thirty – a great start at a career, an awesome husband, my own house. But this “big” birthday is making me think a lot of what the next thirty years holds. Is my life still “verdictless”? As in, do I continue on the same path that I’ve created for myself, or can I create a new one? Can I back out? (and is it too late to back out?) Is this restlessness a quarter life crisis?

I remember when I was a bright-eyed-bushy-tailed 22 year old who wanted to save the world. I still do. I guess my 20's made me realize that I want to change the world in different ways than I ever expected. By having kids. By starting my own business. By connecting with amazing, inspiring teachers across this nation.

I guess only time will tell if I’m living it right. And I guess the only person that makes that determination is me.

*I know that as my husband’s reading this, he’s cringing. He hates John Mayer, almost as much as he hates Jack Johnson.

1 comment:

Sophia said...

Awww, Shannon. Those lyrics have never stopped resonating with me since the first time I heard them...back when "quarterlife" (AKA 25) seemed like a million worlds away. But, I think you're approaching it right in that you're appreciating all that you've already accomplished, but not letting that determine the rest of your life. I think it's important that you realize that you still have a lot of opportunities out there and that maybe you're ALWAYS going to be able to change courses on the path of life. :)